About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My Spicy Veggie Fry Spice - Recipe

Fries are not just for potatoes any more.  Since Tom and I have started growing our own produce, I have discovered you can make "fries" out of all kinds of veggies.  I've used sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and lot of different squashes.  The other great thing about my veggie fries ... is that they are not "fried" at all ... they are baked!! (Taking out TONS of calories and fats).

I like my fries "spicy" so I have come up with what I consider a great seasoning for my veggie creations.

I start off by setting the oven temperature to 425 degrees F. 

The next step is to cut up the veggies (in this case I am using Georgia Jet yams/sweet potatoes).

Then I mix the seasoning which consists of:
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground salt (I use Himalayan Salt)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper



Here is a little time saving tip.  I mix up 3-4 times the amount of seasoning that I need and put it into a shaker bottle.  Not only does it save time when I am trying to make dinner, it also makes it easier to evenly distribute the seasoning over the "fries."

Next I lightly spray the vegetables with an olive oil cooking spray (like Pam), and I shake some of the seasoning onto the veggies.

Pop them into the pre-heated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes (turning once after 10 minutes).

Take out and enjoy.  I like to serve sweet potato fries with light ranch dressing for dipping.

Let me know what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment