About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Why I LOVE Love Apples (Tomatoes) plus Recipe

I love using tomatoes in my cooking which is evident in how many tomato varieties I have already planted this year.  Here is a great poster from Farmers Market which explains good reasons that you should love tomatoes too!  Followed by a great recipe for Baked Tomatoes Oregano.


Baked Tomatoes Oregano
Prep Time: 15 minutes                   Cook Time: 20 minutes                  Serves: 4

Image from AllRecipes.com

Note:  Ripe tomatoes are baked with Romano cheese, fresh bread crumbs, garlic and herbs.  It reminds me of pizza without the crust!  I love this simple recipe on nights we are grilling.
Ingredients:
4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
1/8 cup grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
2 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Sprig of basil
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Coat a shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place tomato slices close together in prepared  baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and oregano.
3.  Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is lightly toasted.
4.  Garnish with a sprig of basil.
Nutrition Info: Calories: 110     Total Fat: 5g     Cholesterol: 4mg     Sodium: 103mg
Total Carbs: 14g (Dietary Fiber 3g)     Protein: 3g


No comments:

Post a Comment