About Me

My photo
Former teacher, clinical social worker and now entrepreneur. My focus, no matter what career I am engaged in, has been on helping people. Now I am on an incredible journey to change life in a leaner, cleaner, greener way. I hope you will join me in this transition.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How to Make a Natural Bug Repellent Spray

Image from www.rosslab.nevrobio.pitt.edu
I am tired of being a fast food drive-by for all the mosquitos in the neighborhood ... I think I am going to try this!!  From: Frugally Sustainable.

.How to Make a Natural Bug Repellent Spray

My Natural Bug Repellent Spray contains a variety of essential oils and plant-based extracts that truly work to keep insects, bugs, and flies away. The key when using essential oils in bug repellent is to choose a combination that repels insects and then mix it with a carrier (i.e. witch hazel, alcohol, or oil). Excellent insect repellent essential oils include:
  • citronella
  • rose geranium
  • clove
  • lemongrass
  • lemon
  • eucalyptus
  • catnip
  • castor oil
  • peppermint
  • lavender
  • cedar
Creating this handmade bug repellent spray required a bit of math. I wanted enough essential oils in the spray for it to really deliver a punch, but I needed it gentle enough for my young children. Combining 1 part essential oils with 10 parts carrier – making the essential oils 10% of the final product — was what I went for, and boy do I love the final product!
In the end, this powerful DEET-free all natural spray contains a base combination of witch hazel and grape seed oil…which translates into a lovely refreshing spray that heals the skin. Perfect protection for the hot months of summer.

The Recipe
 
Ingredients

-1 ounce witch hazel
-1 ounce grape seed oil
-35 drops citronella essential oils
-20 drops eucalyptus essential oils
-15 drops lemon essential oils
-15 drops lemongrass essential oils
-15 drops cedar essential oils

Method

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl or directly into a small spray bottle.
2. Shake well before use.
3. Reapply often, up to every 1-2 hours as needed.

Notes

-Not all natural repellents are created equal and what works for one person may not work for all.

-Instead of grape seed oil, feel free to use the oil you have on hand — olive, jojoba, almond, etc.

-This spray is safe for all members of the family 6 months and older.

Disclaimer: Apply sparingly to infants 6 months to 2 years. But please, don’t take my word for it, be sure to check with your doctor prior to using this or any other natural product on your small children.

DISCLAIMER: The statements made here are purely education and have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. They are by no means intended to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease. This notice is required by the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.

No comments:

Post a Comment